The Sonoma County Barrel Auction (SoCoBA), presented by American AgCredit, is a live auction of wine futures handcrafted by the county’s top vintners. These Never Before, Never Again wines represent the stylistic range and world-class quality of Sonoma County. This exclusive auction is by invitation only for members of the wine trade and media. SoCoBA 2024 is an in-person event scheduled for May 2-3.
Lot submissions need to be received by January 19 in order to showcase your exclusive, one-of-a-kind wine to high caliber wine buyers and media from across the country. Participating wineries must be members of Sonoma County Vintners or part of an AVA association collaboration lot.
We encourage you to celebrate the 10th Anniversary of SoCoBA by submitting a 10-case lot for this year’s events!
Why Participate in SoCoBA?
The goal of the Sonoma County Barrel Auction is to elevate the image, perception and bottle price of Sonoma County wines. Be a participant in this rare opportunity to showcase an exclusive, one-of-a-kind wine to high caliber wine buyers and media from across the country. Engage with trade buyers in a meaningful way, reconnect and develop new, long-term connections for your brand.
- A winery principal/winemaker must be available to attend all Sonoma County Barrel Auction events.
- Additional team members may also participate in the Lot Tasting Preview Event on Thursday, May 2.
- Save the date to attend the Vintner Champion Meeting on Wednesday, January 31, 2024 (9:00 – 10:30am).
How to Submit Your SoCoBA Lot
Create Compelling Never Before, Never Again Lots
- Craft a 5-case, 10-case or 20-case auction lot, featuring a one-of-a-kind wine that is not available in the marketplace.
- Consider a collaborative barrel auction lot with other winemakers.
- Add value by offering a market visit that includes a wine dinner or a store visit for the winning bidder’s account.
- Submit your lot details in the dedicated submission form on this web page including: proposed lot name, lot size, vintage, varietal(s), appellation(s), vineyard source(s), estimated bottling date, estimated release date, winery and winemaker name(s).
- Answer a short list of questions to assist our copy editor with your lot description for the website and catalog: What is the special story behind your proposed barrel auction lot name? What should be highlighted about the vineyards and growers selected? What flavor profile can bidders expect to find in the finished wine?
- Utilize the “Save & Resume” Later feature to share the form with other team members to assist with completion.
Need inspiration? See the amazing auction lots submitted in previous years >
Complimentary Cork Offer
Longtime partners G3 Enterprises and DIAM Closures are generously providing barrel auction winery participants with complimentary DIAM30 corks for use in their auction lot wine. Vintners may choose from the following cork options on the lot submission form:
2024 Vintner Champion Meeting
Please mark your calendar and send at least one member of your team to attend this kick-off meeting on Wednesday, January 31, 2024, 9:00-10:30am, where we will go over all of the key details and logistics for the 2024 Sonoma County Barrel Auction, including:
- Key details and program logistics
- Media & trade relations plans
- What’s new this year
A registration link will be provided in January 2024.
SoCoBA Event Logistics, Parking & Arrival for Vintners
Auction Events May 2-3, 2024
#SoCoBA Participation Reminders
- One attendee for each event must include a Winemaker or Winery Principal that will be there for the entirety from 11:00am – 4:00pm.
- We ask that you don’t leave your lot tasting and auction tables unattended, so please plan accordingly for the duration of the events.
- When being seated at auction tables, please allow your trade guests a position with a view of the stage so they can see the auction lot slides on screen, and the auctioneer can easily spot and engage them as they are bidding.
- Please plan for your winery attendees to be on site from 10:00am – 4:30pm for the Lot Tasting Preview Event and for Auction Day, to check-in and be ready to greet trade and media guests when they arrive, and to bid them farewell as they depart.
There’s no need for formal attire, don your business casual outfits, Sonoma County style for these outdoor events. Please note that Friday’s barrel auction will be held in a tent on the lawn, so please consider your footwear choices accordingly.
Confirmed Media Attendees
We will compile and post a list closer to the event dates of confirmed media with their photos and short bios for you to easily identify and connect with them during the SoCoBA events.
We appreciate your participation and support!
Sonoma County Barrel Auction (SoCoBA) is produced by Sonoma County Vintners and presented by American AgCredit. Proceeds raised from SoCoBA assist in creating Sonoma County Vintners marketing programs and initiatives that support the wine trade and community.
Follow Us on Social Media and Share Your SoCoBA Day